Operations Supervisor & Assistant Ice Technician
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities has an excellent opening for a full-time Operations Supervisor and Assistant Ice Technician at Denny Sanford PREMIER Center. This position is responsible for the daily activities required to run, maintain, and service the facilities and their events by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate personnel: prepares and maintains facility ice floor for all hockey practices, hockey games and other ice events as needed. Supervisor must be capable of driving a Zamboni and also assists, supervises and coordinates activities of workers engaged in the Operations department.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (other duties may be assigned)
- Oversee installation of ice, which includes freezing floor; painting base color, lines and logos; and building up the ice sheet. Prepare ice for all practices, games and other ice events. Duties include: removing debris, checking ice depth, scraping, edging, resurfacing ice and maintenance of spectator netting.
- Operate and maintain the ice re-surface and ice-edger equipment. Repair and build ice.
- Oversee daily operations, Set up, changeover, tear down and other tasks assigned to completion in the Operations department.
- Must be familiar with techniques for repairing and building ice around hockey goals and other areas that lose ice.
- Maintain glass and dasher walls including quick changes to broken hockey shields, maintain ice and lay water as needed, monitor temperature and humidity levels.
- Prepare and cover ice for events that require a regular floor surface.
- Operate and control some equipment via computers.
- Oversee, assist and direct employees who assist with installation and maintenance of ice.
- Respond to visual and audible alarms from building automation and life safety systems.
- Work extended and/or irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays, as needed.
Employee will carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SMG’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding; disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- A high school diploma or GED.
- At least one year ice floor and facilities operations experience preferred.
- Completion of accredited courses from an ice making technology school is considered a strong plus; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Use and properly care for ice equipment, including ice resurfacing and ice-edger with multiple manual controls, gears and foot pedals.
- Ability to Drive a Zamboni.
- Read and interpret documents, procedure manuals, floor plans, assignment sheets, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions for all areas of the department.
- Work independently, exercising judgment and initiative.
- Organize and prioritize to meet deadlines.
- Work effectively under pressure and/or stringent schedule and produce accurate results.
- Knowledge of computers & programs.
- This position requires good vision, hearing and dexterity. Long periods of standing, walking, lifting, stooping, kneeling, crawling and crouching on concrete, ice surfaces, staircases, etc., including slippery and uneven surfaces. Lifting and moving up to 50 lbs. + over a period of time. This position requires work in both indoor and outdoor settings and may be subject to adverse conditions.
Applications can be picked up at the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center or resumes sent to the following:
Denny Sanford PREMIER Center
1201 N. West Ave.
Sioux Falls, SD 57104