SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities, has an excellent and immediate opening for a General Manager who is responsible for the overall management, promotion and operation of the Denny Sanford Premier Center, Sioux Falls Arena & Convention Center and the Orpheum Theater Center, including purchasing, booking, marketing, finance, human resources, box office, advertising, security, production, maintenance, parking and related operations by performing the following duties personally or through subordinates.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains active contact with the Client/Contract Administrator. Monitors SMG compliance with all provisions of the services contract.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with the Client/Contract Administrator, tenants, government departments and agencies, entertainment/convention industry, community and civic organizations to encourage continual and regular use of the facility.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with the tenants, employees, union representatives and the general public.
- Develops and implements facility goals in accordance with the management contract, the Client’s objectives, corporate policy, and good business practice.
- Prepares and maintains required and necessary reports/records for the Client/Contract Administrator and for the Corporate Office.
- Evaluates facility practices and recommends improvements to better reflect the needs of the Client and the facility, and/or to improve the efficiency and safety of operations, in compliance with SMG policies and procedures.
- Assists and coordinates with the development of the annual operating calendar, activity schedules, projections for attendance and/or revenue.
- Assures the coordination, implementation and administration of specific plans and programs prescribed by corporate directives, to include: matters of training and development; quality assurance; energy efficiency; safety/emergency procedures, crowd control and crisis management procedures, or other areas as needed.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates and directs all activities and personnel engaged in maintaining and operating the facility.
- Provides for control of day-to-day operations; assuring the coordination of plans, programs and events; conducts post-event operational and financial review and analysis.
- Conducts marketing, budgeting and weekly staff meetings.
- Oversee implementation of SMG Best Practices for operations, security, event management and other similar programs.
- Provides or coordinates for timely and effective response to directives and requests received from internal and external organizations, agencies, departments and individuals; assures and maintains the integrity of the facility and SMG in all forms of communication and personal contacts.
- Negotiates lease agreements as determined necessary and in the best interests of the facility.
- Provides final approval of all contracts and agreements with suppliers, promoters, and tenants for necessary activities and services at the facility.
- Oversees the development of the operating and marketing financial plans and documents including operating revenue and expense budgets as well as capital expense plans and budgets.
- Assures the administration of personnel and the operation of plant and facilities are conducted in accordance with applicable local, state and federal regulations.
- Oversees and advises Human Resources on any necessary revisions/modifications to the staffing plans, including number and types of employees, essential functions, salaries, and benefits.
- Implements and maintains a high-standard for guest services, including initiatives for employee training, employee recognition/rewards.
- Other duties as assigned.
Manages Assistant General Manager, Directors and Managers who supervise employees in the Finance, Marketing, Operations, or other facility departments. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SMG's policies and applicable laws.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree (BA) from a four-year accredited college or university with major course work in business or public administration or related fields.
- Minimum of 5-7 years industry experience in a senior management function of an arena, convention center or stadium, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in contract negotiation, business law, purchasing procedures, and supervising personnel.
- Experience in labor relations and union contracts, if applicable.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and organizational ability.
- Ability to work with and maintain highly confidential information is required.
- Ability to work simultaneously with a broad variety of vested interest groups and to foster a cooperative environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices used in the successful management of entertainment or convention facilities of a similar description.
- Ability to anticipate problems and implement immediate corrective action.
- Ability to perform effectively under significant pressure typically associated with meeting the demands and timetables of the entertainment industry.
- Considerable knowledge of event solicitation and presentation, public relations, advertising and media relations and event planning.
- Considerable knowledge of safety regulations and other federal, state or local laws and regulations.
- Strong orientation towards hospitality/customer service for the meeting, convention and entertainment industry.
- Basic knowledge of facility operating standards, building maintenance, custodial, personnel and office management.
- Effective supervisory skills. Ability to deal effectively with human resource and personnel problems; to deal constructively with conflict; to motivate, provide counsel and execute applicable solutions.
- Ability to manage a facility of same size and type
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays in addition to normal business hour as needed.
- Must have professional attitude and appearance.
- Some travel required.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Applications that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact 605-367-7288.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRRA Federal Contractor.